The Greenhouse Grower position is responsible for growing crops in the Greenhouse facility. This person is also responsible for the proper care of plants in the greenhouse, including the principles and practices of plant propagation, cultivation and protection.
Must have a good commitment to quality and tasks, good attention to detail, good communication, and be results focused. Must have the ability to lift 35 pounds regularly, have good flexibility, and must be willing to tolerate the different weather conditions depending on season.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Identify the plants and their problems (diseases, pests, and others).
- Plan, organize, direct, control, and/or coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, harvesting and packing.
- Constant care and monitoring of range for optimum crop quality, climate, and placement.
- Responsible for all aspects of growing, including watering, fertilizing, spraying, and testing.
- Develop/document high quality standards for consistently growing crops using computer database
- Conduct trials/experiments to evaluate possible improvements to the crop
- Perform/track soil, water, disease tests as needed
- Identify/track/control insects
- Assist in the development and implementation of specific fertilization programs
- Monitor/control greenhouse environments
- Interact/communicate with a dedicated, knowledgeable, friendly grower team
- Identify crop problems and determine a solution
- Lead/Supervise employees in your range
Minimum 1 year of relevant job experience as follows:
- Must be able to identify the plants and their problems (diseases, pests, and others).
- Must be able to plan, organize, direct, control, and/or coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, harvesting and packing various tomato varieties.
- Strong verbal and analytical skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Must be computer literate in Excel, Word and capable of running greenhouse computerized software.
- Must be willing to work some weekends
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or Agricultural Science preferred